Tuesday 26 August 2014

The Book of Life (All Souls Trilogy #3) by Deborah Harkness

I have loved this trilogy, all of the characters are wonderful and I have waited (a long time) since the last book to finally find out what happens to the delectable Matthew de Clairmont and his lovely Diana Bishop and also I was keen to uncover the secrets of the Ashmole 782!

P.S. I think I may be slightly in love with Gallowglass!

Unfortunately due to other books that I was reading I didn't have time to read the first two in this series again before starting the final book, which meant the first chapter of The Book of Life was a little disorientating for me as I struggled to remember names etc but by chapter two I was hooked, I really struggled to put it down and had quite a few days sporting some seriously heavy bags under my eyes due to reading well into the early hours the night before - hey ho who needs sleep when there is a wonderful story unfolding on the page in front of you.

The end of the book came, and lots of questions were answered BUT more were raised in my mind! I literally read the end and thought this cannot be the end surely there will be more books to come (and I sincerely hope there will be!) We got the end of Matthew and Diana's story (well as far as the Asmole 782 is concerned and their family) But I do feel that the Gerbert issue needs to be resolved (Knox got his just desserts and so should Gerbert!) and what about the item that Phillipe's ghost gave back to Diana??? surely there must be more to come. I definitely feel the need for Gallowglass' story to be told and also would love to see how the twins grow once their powers have been realised.

I am not sure the close was satisfying enough for the end of the trilogy - or perhaps it's because I felt so vested in the characters that I am just disappointed it is over!



https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/3849415.Deborah_Harkness

Book Description:
After traveling through time in Shadow of Night, the second book in Deborah Harkness’s enchanting series, historian and witch Diana Bishop and vampire scientist Matthew Clairmont return to the present to face new crises and old enemies. At Matthew’s ancestral home at Sept-Tours, they reunite with the cast of characters from A Discovery of Witches—with one significant exception. But the real threat to their future has yet to be revealed, and when it is, the search for Ashmole 782 and its missing pages takes on even more urgency. In the trilogy’s final volume, Harkness deepens her themes of power and passion, family and caring, past deeds and their present consequences. In ancestral homes and university laboratories, using ancient knowledge and modern science, from the hills of the Auvergne to the palaces of Venice and beyond, the couple at last learn what the witches discovered so many centuries ago.

With more than one million copies sold in the United States and appearing in thirty-eight foreign editions, A Discovery of Witches and Shadow of Night have landed on all of the major bestseller lists and garnered rave reviews from countless publications. Eagerly awaited by Harkness’s legion of fans, The Book of Life brings this superbly written series to a deeply satisfying close.

No comments:

Post a Comment